Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 10 - Waiting in Querétaro

RobT:  Yup.  We were still waiting on UPS. We were told yesterday (Monday) it would be delivered later that day and 5 pm still no show.  Ernesto made several calls during the day and found they never even attempted the delivery due to an incomplete address.  No call from UPS either.  Funny thing is we noticed the address issue a couple of days before, so Ernesto called UPS and had everything straightened out.... or so we thought.  We even tried to pick it up at the UPS depot but they would not allow that.  When they finally admitted it was their problem, Ernesto was allowed to go pick it up!!!  They wouldn't even send a special delivery in order to appease us.  Now, here’s the funny part, Rob C sent a package home to Gaby  in Michigan and was told it would be there the NEXT DAY!!!  What?!?!?  Took my package almost 5 full days and it was only 500 km further (RobC ed. in all fairness, there was a weekend in there)! (RobT ed. to RobC.  no fairness granted, whether it's a weekend or not!) (RobC ed. you are just trying to blame poor UPS for losing your bloody bike registration.   :-) )

RobC:  While we were waiting for Rob's document Ernesto was gracious to take us downtown Querétaro to see some of the important sites. Mexico has a lot of interesting history and this year happens to be the 200-year anniversary Mexican Independence (celebrated on September 16) and the 100-year anniversary of the Revolution. This state is part of the region known as La Cuna de la Independencia (the Cradle of Independence) as the uprising against Spain in 1810 began here. Emperor Maximilian surrendered here, and in 1917 the Mexican constitution was written in this city.

Queretaro is a lively colonial city in the state of the same name. The Templo de San Francisco, which opens on to Jardin Zenea - the main plaza in Queretaro, was built in approximately 1540, using tiles on the dome that were brought from Spain.

An Otomí woman in typical dress, selling here wares and allowing a picture for a medium-sized coin. Mexico has some 160 indigenous groups, each with their own intricate language, customs and typical dress.

The remnants of a mile-long aquaduct used to bring water to the city of Querétaro.

This is the tomb of an important figure in the uprising, Dona Josefa Ortiz - La Corregidora (the wife of the district administrator). The group of men who wanted to free Mexico from Spanish rule (including Miguel Hidalgo) met at Dona Josefa Ortiz' house. The conspiracy was discovered and she was placed under house arrest. However she managed to whisper to a co-conspirator that their plot had been revealed. Due to this warning, the men escaped and Miguel Hidalgo remained free to issue his call to arms which led to the War of Independence.

RobT:  After we spent part of the day viewing the old aquaduct and the old part of town we discussed heading to the Teotihuacán Pyramids on the outskirts of Mexico City after we got the document. Didn't want to impose on the Morales family another night. Either that or skip the ruins altogether. RobC mentioned it was a must see so we decided to ride. Although we would be doing some night riding, it would be on toll roads which are safer, well lit and less traffic. Ernesto got back with that troublesome piece of paper at 5:30 pm, made me a couple of copies and we were set to go, right?

Wrong. RobC was backing his bike onto the road and noticed the handle bars wouldn't turn all the way to the right. Matter of fact they wouldn't move past center. This same thing happened in San Miguel de Allende and we attributed it to the cobblestones because it was ok after he got moving. We investigated the problem and found that one of the horns had jammed between the right fork and the frame. Also noticed that the end of the horn was damaged and broken from jamming on the fork seal cover. The seal cover appeared ok. Half hour later we were on our way with the elusive document in hand except we would be spending most of the ride in the dark now. After a fast 2 and a half hours and some time looking for our hotel, we had arrived at the Pyramids. It was 10 pm and we were beat. Found out the site opened at 7:30 am so we wanted to get an early start and hopefully get some pictures of the Pyramids as the sun rose.

Above are shot of the bar in the hotel (Villas Arquelógicas) outside the ruins.  Other than a group of elderly ladies, we were the only people there.  BTW, roughly 800 pesos, so $35 each for the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment